FRIENDS OF VIA
Is a 501 (c) 3 organization in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania which supports Via Foundation, an independent Czech foundation that is committed to community and philanthropy development in the Czech Republic. Friends of Via gives American donors an easy tax-deductible way to donate to Via Foundation and other Czech non-profit organizations.
Friends of Via supports Via Foundation in “Building the Future, One Community at a Time.”
For the past 20 years, Via Foundation has been supporting people and organizations which are changing Czech communities. Each year Via Foundation provides grants and learning opportunities to approximately 200 projects in Czech communities – like Dolní Podluží, where residents transformed a public space into a vibrant community place, or Rychnov nad Kněžnou, where teenagers put on a benefit event to raise money for young people with disabilities.
We are currently holding a fundraising drive for Via’s Living Communities program. If you haven’t contributed already, we hope you’ll join us in supporting people improving Czech communities! You can donate here.
- Via Foundation celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2017! Read more in our 20th anniversary letter.
- Through the generosity of many donors, Via was able to support a total of 45 projects in its “Living Communities” program in 2017. They are diverse, ranging from development of a community center, urban gardening, sleuthing a lost bust of T. G. Masaryk and guided walks as a means of sharing local history – but they all share one important thing: community engagement. Read more about the most recent set of projects here.
- 14 teams of children and young people are putting on benefit events and learning about philanthropy first-hand through our Young Philanthropists program. Read more about their projects here.
- This past May, Via Foundation invited the Friends of Via board of directors to participate in a week-long tour of community development projects supported by Via. To read more about what Board members experienced at one project visit, read this article by Board member William Lafe here. You can find a summary and more photos here.
- The special 20th anniversary 2017 Via Bona Philanthropy Awards took place on May 23, 2017. Read more here: Via Bona Awards 2017.
- The Czech folk music ensemble, Muzička is on it’s way once again to a U.S. tour. This time to the West Coast and California! Muzička will perform around the West Coast, and their tour will culminate with the St. Wenceslaus Festival in the San Francisco Bay area, where they will be artist-in-residence. This three-day festival is organized by the Orinda/Tabor Sister City Foundation located in Orinda, California, September 29 – October 1, 2017. More information can be found at: http://www.orindaczechfestival.com/ Muzička is actively raising funds for this return to the US in fall 2017. If Czech folk music has a special place in your heart and you’d like to get involved by making a tax-deductible contribution, please contact Carol Hochman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click here for a very inspiring article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette newspaper about a young philanthropist in Pittsburgh.