FRIENDS OF VIA
Is a 501 (c) 3 organization in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania which supports Via Foundation, an independent Czech foundation that is committed to community and philanthropy development in the Czech Republic. Friends of Via gives American donors an easy tax-deductible way to donate to Via Foundation and other Czech non-profit organizations.
Friends of Via supports Via Foundation in “Building the Future, One Community at a Time.”
For the past 20 years, Via Foundation has been supporting people and organizations which are changing Czech communities: people like retiree Zdenka Wasserbauerova, who encourages young people to become bone marrow donors, or a group in Cheb trying to save a local monastery. Last year, Via Foundation supported over 250 projects and awarded over $600,000 in grants.
- The Czech folk music ensemble, Muzička is on it’s way once again to a U.S. tour. This time to the West Coast and California! Muzička will perform around the West Coast, and their tour will culminate with the St. Wenceslaus Festival in the San Francisco Bay area, where they will be artist-in-residence. This three-day festival is organized by the Orinda/Tabor Sister City Foundation located in Orinda, California, September 29 – October 1, 2017. More information can be found at: http://www.orindaczechfestival.com/ Muzička is actively raising funds for this return to the US in fall 2017. If Czech folk music has a special place in your heart and you’d like to get involved by making a tax-deductible contribution, please contact Carol Hochman at email@example.com.
- In the 2017 spring round of “Living Communities”, Via Foundation’s community improvement program, 15 projects from across the entire CR were awarded grants. The “Don’t miss” list includes revived community wool-spinning evenings in a rural area where sheep may outnumber people and a “community living room” in a local library. Read more here.
- Friends of Via board members are looking forward to visiting several community development projects during our May trip to the Czech Republic. Stay tuned for some articles about our trip to be published here soon!
- The special 20th anniversary 2017 Via Bona Philanthropy Awards are coming up in May. Read more here. And for a look at 2016’s awardwinners see this article: The year’s most powerful stories of giving.
- Click here for a very inspiring article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette newspaper about a young philanthropist in Pittsburgh.