FRIENDS OF VIA
Is a 501 (c) 3 organization in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania which supports Via Foundation, an independent Czech foundation that is committed to community and philanthropy development in the Czech Republic. Friends of Via gives American donors an easy tax-deductible way to donate to Via Foundation and other Czech non-profit organizations.
Friends of Via supports Via Foundation in “Building the Future, One Community at a Time.”
For the past 23 years, Via Foundation has been supporting people and organizations which are changing Czech communities. Each year Via Foundation provides grants and learning opportunities to approximately 300 projects in Czech communities – like Dolní Podluží, where residents transformed a public space into a vibrant community place, or Rychnov nad Kněžnou, where teenagers put on a benefit event to raise money for young people with disabilities.
To make a donation to Via Foundation, please click here.
- The Via Bona Awards, through which Via Foundation recognizes outstanding acts of philanthropy each year, were held at the US Ambassador’s Residence in Prague in mid-October. This year’s theme was Stories of Hope. Read more here.
- On October 1-3, 2021, Cesky a Slovensky Svet, the Pittsburgh Czech and Slovak Language School for children, organized the second Czech language immersion camp for children at nearby Raccoon Creek State Park. Forty children participated in a variety of camping activities along with 30 parent and adult volunteers. This link to photos shows a great time was had by all. You can just imagine the sound of the Czech language filling the woodlands of western Pennsylvania!
- A devastating tornado hit South Moravia on June 24, injuring 200+ people and causing millions in damage. We invite you to join our fundraising drive for the tornado victims here. Read more about the tornado and Via’s coordinated response here.
- Engaging Youth in Czech Culture and Philanthropy, a recent article by FoV Board President Carol Hochman, sheds light on the history of volunteerism in Bohemia and Moravia.
- Read about musicians using their talent to help others through Via’s Young Philanthropists program.
- Young Philanthropists in Pittsburgh cleaned up the waterfront. Read more here: 1.Pomáhat je radost.
- We invite you to read an interview with Zdenek Mihalco, Via’s director about the great wave of generosity generated by the pandemic and Via’s role in the current, and future, crises. It offers an insightful look at where philanthropy in the Czech Republic stood one year into the pandemic.
- Facebook users may also enjoy Via’s FB page “Come On, Local Community” which features articles about community development.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST!